Monday, April 29, 2013

Geocaching

Have you ever heard of geocaching? Nathan and I recently discovered this hidden little gem amongst the world wide web. It's basically real live treasure hunt! Ok, well there isn't usually any money or fancy jewels involved but it has the basics of your classic treasure hunt. With the above website, you can create a membership and look for geocaches that are all over the world. Each geocache is given a GPS coordinate and using those you are supposed to find it. You can choose the difficulty of the terrain you will be exploring or the size of your 'treasure.' Since it was our first time geocaching we choose fairly easy ones to find, but I have to say they gave us a little bit of difficultly, but we did end up finding them.

This all came about because I don't know about the rest of you, but Nathan and I have a hard time finding things we like to do together - add a baby in the mix, and gets a little more difficult. I'm your typical girly housewife (minus the cleaning), I like to shop, craft, bake and even organize from time to time. Those four words tend to send Nathan into a full blow panic attack, but not really. Nathan doesn't like doing any of those things. So I have been determined to find something that we both like to do, and I think that we did! Geocaching is a great way to explore the outdoors, and that is something that we both like to do. Our recent adventures took us to Hell's Half Acre - located just outside of Blackfoot. I mentioned it to some locals here, and they had never even heard of it - and they have lived here their whole life! I'm telling you, it's a great chance to see what you have been missing.

Hell's Half Acre is a lava flow field, and is right off a rest area off of I-15. It has sidewalk trails, which were great for the stroller, and tons of information about the site located throughout the trail. Here are some photos from our little 'adventure.'

Hell's Half Acre

I found this lonesome little bunch of flowers. Can't pass them up.
Quinn 'found' the first geocache. Meet Seymour Antler.
Nathan discovering the contents of the second geocache.

 Now, go geocaching already!








No comments:

Post a Comment